When people say they have nothing to hide, let's reply:
* Post your passwords here
* Write down everybody you hate
* Tell the world who you voted for
* List all the videos you watched
- Medical history.
- Sensitive conversations with employers, children, spouses.
- Billing and banking information.
- Purchase information.
- Web search history.
I need privacy. Not because my actions are questionable, but because 'your' judgement and intentions are.
And it doesn't matter whether or not my communications are weighty or frivolous in nature - they are mine and only for those whom I've chosen to share them with. Not the government's, nor goog's, nor my ISP's, but mine.
Also, what is legal where I live today, may not be legal tomorrow and my discussion of it may incriminate my future self. It has happened in the past many times to others in other places.